Sunday, December 9, 2012

A pair of chopsticks

Chopsticks to me is something very natural/absolute? When I was younger, no one forced me to use the chopsticks the proper way but I would observe how the adults use it and mimic their fingers.  Today, I wouldn't say that I'm a pro in using chopsticks but I do think that my chopstick skills are above average.

I've always thought that chopsticks are one of the best invention the previous generation left behind. It's a simple tool and yet it has a great purpose. There's no rocket mechanics behind it and it has made eating so enjoyable. I don't really know how to explain this but because chopsticks play a huge role in my life, I was under the impression that chopsticks are as essential to other Chinese. 

One day while I was having lunch with my friends at a Taiwanese restaurant, my friend asked for a fork. I was really surprised and I asked her 'why can't you use the chopsticks?'  

She replied ' I don't know how to use the chopsticks' 

Another friend replied ' I don't know the right way of using the chopsticks too but at least I still can use it' 

I asked her 'why don't you learn how to use it? I can teach you.' 

To my surprise, My friend replied 'it's okay, I don't see the point of learning. It's not like I will use it next time' 

I was really stunned by her answer. It felt like a culture shock.  It never occurred to me that chopsticks is something that you need a reason to use it.  Like I said chopsticks are something so natural for me and I find that hard to accept, at first. 

But on a different note, chopsticks, thanks for reminding me that my world would be very small if I to be blinded by my own opinions. After all the world is not ruled by only one discourse or believes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment