Monday, December 3, 2012

Knock 'em ten pins

I absolutely, honestly, seriously dislike bowling.

I am impressed with the physics in Formula 1 but bowling...meh. I don't care if someone applies the Bernoulli principle to add spin and change the direction of the bowling ball. Beckham's banana kick is more impressive.

Anyway, Lets just put it this way, just to make me feel better. I have OCD and the irrational need to sweep and clean the gutter is so impulsive and strong that I can't help it.

My mum on the other hand enjoys bowling very much. Whenever her office is having some bowling tourney, she always walks home with a trophy.

When I was younger, my mum would bring my sister and I to the country club's bowling alley for a game or two. Every time it will end with my mum asking the same question. 'Why can't you just bowl properly?!'

Hello, I have trophies for table tennis, not bowling okay!!

So ya. the last time I went bowling was yearsssss ago and it was a very memorable one. Or to be more specific, a traumatized unforgettable type of experience.

Half way through the game, my mum couldn't stand my lack of talent in bowling and she raised her voice, telling and demo-ing to me how to bowl and all that.

I was trying very hard to follow her instructions, monkey see monkey do style but something is just not right!

So she scolded me. 'Why are you so lousy, so terrible at bowling? Can't you just follow what I say, can't you aim? Bla bla bla'.

It kills all my self esteem, self confidence, self motivation etc etc. It triggered a tear gland and the next thing was where is the plumber?

The criticism didn't stop there (strict Asian mum) and I got so desperate to hit some pins that I start talking to the bowling ball. You know, try to be nice, make some friends hoping that the God or Goddess of bowling would respond to my humble request.

It's a bit psycho-ish and crazy but it actually helped a bit. Pins are finally being knocked down and more dust accumulated in the gutter.

No idea why by i always have this feeling that I will appreciate bowling some day later when I get older.

Till then, bowling is just....tragic.




No comments:

Post a Comment