Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My Cup of Tea

People who have worked with me will probably know that tea is my beer. There's always a cup or a flask of tea on my desk Then, I'll always let out this ahhh of satisfaction whenever I take a sip.

Inspired by George Orwell's 'A Nice Cup of Tea', I decided to write how I like my cuppa tea.



1. Add sugar to coffee, not tea
The golden rule that should never ever be broken! Just as Orwell said, "Tea is meant to be bitter, just as beer is meant to be bitter". It would be unreasonable to add salt or pepper so why is sugar acceptable?

I have came across people gave me weird looks when they found out that I don't drink tea with sugar. They look at me as if it's out of the world. I would rather eat the tea leaves then drink tea syrup!!

2. Milk tea, not a fan of it
I love milk and I love tea. But milk tea, I'll pass. The taste is alright but it's just not how I like my tea to be served. Maybe it's because I have yet to come across a really good cup of milk tea. And perhaps it's because I grew up drinking Chinese tea and no one adds milk into Chinese tea.

3. Three minute rule
I usually dip the tea bag for two to three minutes. If I want a stronger flavour, I will use two tea bags. Maximum maximum four minute. Nothing should stay inside longer than that unless you want to kill the tea's flavor and fragrance.

4. Lukewarm tea, somewhat tolerable
If can, use only freshly boiled hot water. But I understand that sometimes it's too hot and you'll leave your cup on the table and let it cool down a little before enjoying it. Sometimes you tend to forget about it and the next thing you know is the tea is now lukewarm.

Lukewarm tea is still somewhat borderline-ly acceptable to me. But I can write you the horror story of the year if it's Chamomile tea. I was having lunch and the tea was burning hot so I thought that I'll have it after I finish my food. Finally I'm done, took a sip and my facial muscle and throat voluntarily flexed.  The next millisecond, I can feel my lunch fighting against gravity and travelling up to my esophagus. *shivers*

That's about it I guess! I'll write another one on my favorite teas next time. Till then, let me know what is not your cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment