Sunday, November 25, 2012

Why I am car-less?

Now that I have started working, many people are asking me these questions and below are my answer to them.

Q: When are you going to get a car?
A: I don't know, haven't been planning for that.

Q: How do you travel?
A:  I walk, take the bus and the train.

Q: OMG! You walk and you take public transport?
A: Yes. I walk and public transport are one of the many ways I travel.

Q: Gosh! Malaysia's public transport sucks! How can you withstand that?
A: They are not that bad. They taught me to be patient!

Q: How long does it take you to travel to work?
A: Well, it takes me about 1 hour and sometimes 1 and a half hour to get to work and also to get home.

Q: Why not take the car, it will be faster.
A: Can you guarantee that it will be faster? What if when there are jams?

Q: How long does it take for you to walk from home to the train station?
A: Half an hour.

Q: Oh-Mai-God! *rolls eyes* 
A: *Smiles*

Q: You will need a car to go other places sometimes. Why don't get a car which is more convenient?
A: I know to some places, I need to use the car. However, how often do I go out to places that I can't reach without car?

Q: What if you go out at night?
A: Well, it is a good thing that I don't have a car. That means I'll be home early.

There are many more questions to asking me why do I want to be in this state - car-less state. Thing is, I can't seem to be able to convince myself to get a car though I know that it is somewhat safer than me walking to the bus stop in the morning. I get to enjoy myself not waking up early to go to work. I get to enjoy the freedom of being able to go out when I want and come back anytime.

Bottom-line is, I get a lot of perks for having a car.

At the same time, I also see a lot of cons.

The reason why am I car-less is because

1. I don't mind waking up early to go to work. (though sometimes I do have that lazy side of me)

2. I don't see the point of having to pay a huge amount of money to the parking vendor and also using up petrol and also time just to get from one place to another when I can save the money and environment when moving around.

3. I don't see why I want to have this commitment when I know that car won't be of much use here? (Drive my car, park at the KTM or nearest LRT station and take the train to work and taking the bus and then the train to work isn't much of a different)

4. Yes, I do spend a lot of my time travelling, but during that period of time, I do get a little time to myself doing nothing or sometimes do some reading. I don't see my time as going to waste.

5. Car-less makes me go to bed early, wakes up early and also I get to do some exercises from walking and sweating which all leads to healthier lifestyle.

Well, I can give you many more reasons but till I can find a good reason to convince myself to get a car. I don't see why I should spend money on things that I don't really need when I can save it for a rainy day (or for a vacation!)

If only people understand my point of view and stop asking me questions of why I am being car-less.

You like wheels, I love my walking under the hot sun, sweating like a waterfall and getting wet under the rain. They are all not a burden, but a part of my life that I do not mind to have and enjoy. A part of my life that I don't really see a need to change, yet.

P.s. I did not say that I do not want a car, I will get a car (or maybe not) when the time comes. For now, there are better and meaningful things to do than to get a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment